zondag 7 augustus 2011

The garden in august


From a distance there's only colour
from the hydrangeas in the garden now.




I love the different shades of colour
that appear in the bushes of hydrangea
by this time of year.




Fading colours, dusty colours,
my favourites.




There can be a variety of colours
in just one flower sometimes.




Except for hydrangea "Annabelle".
While the fresh flowers are bright white...




they all turn green as they age.




I made an amazing discovery this afternoon
as I was taking pictures of the hydrangea Annabelle.




In the middle of one of the aged flowers
I discovered the seed pod of an Allium
that obviously must have bloomed in spring
but was covered by the leaves and flowers of
the hydrangea at that time.




Having a closer look,
I discovered two more seed pods
hiding in the hydrangea bush.




Talking about seed pods,
the blue love-in-a-mist that bloomed
in the border in spring
has now totally dried up seed pods.
Every seed pod looks to me as if it were
a little nest with a giant egg in it.








Even those dried up spring flowers
are worth to be taken a picture of I think...




Right next to these are some
white blooming love-in-a-mist
I sowed here early spring this year.




The dark cornflowers
have reached the end of their bloom
for this year too.


Something tells me
there's already a bit of fall
around the corner...

August... Harvest month...
Summer is about to come to an end.

Let's enjoy the last days of summer!


Bye,
Marian